Sunday, November 23, 2014

Four...ever

It's been a while now...I am far less consumed by the Divergent than I was a few weeks ago but the story and the characters linger in the back of my mind.
My life has definitely changed, and not for the better. The book had such an impact on my mood and my outlook. It made life so dull and uninspiring. It made the idea of aging and keeping up with mundane activities totally tasteless and unworthy. But life goes on...anyway...I trailed behind...then I caught up and went right back on track...kind of like the Dauntless jumping on the train! But the sparkle is gone...With Winter upon us, the grey skies, the rain, the colder temperature...it does not help and I feel myself like Four, wanting to escape this world ...except there is nowhere to go. Autopilot kicks in and soon life is back to what it always was but a little part of me has died.

It took a while for me to consider reading any other material or to try and watch any other movie. As if I was afraid anything else I read or watched would erase Four and Tris and their story. I am no longer achy at the thought of Tris's death. I have moved on. But I still hang on to Four. As if I wanted him to be real. I tried starting the Hunger Games but ended up reading all the other materials around the Divergent. The whole series about Four and the Path to Allegiant. I really appreciated the scenes from Four's point of view. It allowed me to plunge back into the story and savor those moments again. It also helped define Four in a new light, actually a darker 'light'. While Four first comes off as rough, a bit mean and dry, he also seems a powerful person within Dauntless after reading the extra material, he seems more like an outcast who has power and brains but who is on a dangerous path.

The question I am still stuck on is...if Four is not Divergent, then why does he have most of the Divergents' abilities. What makes him 'more'? Why does he feel so 'divergent' and struggles with the Factions?


No comments:

Post a Comment